What Russian phrases will you need for the New Year’s Eve?
Our author Tatiana Klimova
wishes everyone could spend New Year’s Eve in Russia or another Russian-speaking country at least once in their life. If you have already planned such a trip, you will need some phrases that Russians use during the New Year’s celebrations.
When we have a celebration, we often use С + the Instrumental case.
Why? Because we have to use the verb поздравлять-поздравить (to congratulate),
and after this verb, we need a С
– Поздравляю с днём рождения!
But we don’t always use поздравляю, only the С
stays: С днём рождения!Useful New Year phrases and wishes in Russian
- С Наступающим Новым Годом! or just С Наступающим! We use this sentence when the New Year hasn’t yet arrived. It can be used one or two weeks before the 1st of January. Наступающий means something that is coming and will be there soon.
- С Новым Годом! The most popular phrase on the New Year’s Eve and after it.
- С Новым Счастьем! Sometimes we use this one together with С Новым Годом!
- С Новым Годом! С Новым Счастьем!
- After New Year’s Eve comes Christmas. In Russia, Christmas is celebrated on the 7th of January. On this day we say: С Рождеством!