Greetings and Wishes on February 23 and March 8 in Russian
Happy holidays, guys! My name is Anastasia, I’m a certified Russian teacher at the Enjoy Russian language school
And if you’re confused what holidays I’m talking about, here’s a popular Russian joke
for you that can help you:
Жена спрашивает мужа:
- Кто из нас пойдет забирать сына из детского садика?
- Конечно же ты! – удивлённо выгибает бровь жена
- Почему это?
- Я тебе на 8 марта шубу дарил? – отвечает ей муж
- А сапоги дарил?
- Ну так и иди.
- Почему все же я?!
- У тебя сапоги и шуба, а пойду в твоем подарке на 23 февраля? В пенке для бритья и носках?
A wife asks her husband:
- Who’s gonna pick up our son from the kindergarden?
- You should do it.
- Why should I? – asks wife surprised.
And her husband says:
- Well, I gave you a fur coat for the 8th of March, right?
- Did I give the winter high boots?
- Yes, you did.
- So, what are you waiting for? Go to the kindergarden.
- I still don’t get it, why me?!
- Cause you have a fur coat and boots, and what did you present me for 23rd of February? A pair of socks and a shaving foam, do you expect mу to put them on and go outside?
Are you still confused? Why does the wife get a fur coat and winter high boots
, while her husband gets only socks and a shaving foam
? What’s going on here?
Rest assured, there’s a perfectly logical explanation.
We’re going to talk about 2 Russian holidays: Defender’s Day
(23rd of February) and Women’s Day
(8th of March).
All of you have heard about the International Women’s Day
that has a little bit different connotation in Russia. On the 8th of March, it’s a popular situation that people see this day more as a holiday of a forthcoming spring
(in Russia we just need more reasons to celebrate that it’s getting warmer), beauty and women.
For sure, the Russians honor women’s independence and raise a lot of important questions this day (and always), but it just happened historically that men also want to remind women how they love them with kind words, presents, and flowers. So if you plan some shopping before the 8th of March
, pay attention to: